|About the Program
The YWCA After School Program provides quality, affordable childcare in a safe, fun and nurturing environment. The program is a 3 star fully licensed program by the North Carolina Division of Child Development. Licensing # 65000453.
The program is offered to children ages 5 to 12 and is open Monday-Friday from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm throughout the academic year. *The program is open Monday-Friday from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm during school vacations, teacher workdays, select holidays and intersession for year-round students.
After School Applications for the 2017-2018 school year will be available beginning on July 1st, 2017!
Every child enrolled in the program receives:
- A nutritional afternoon snack
- Nutritional breakfast and afternoon snack during full-day care
- Safe, one-way transportation to the YWCA from the child's school
- Homework assistance from certified teachers
- Bi-weekly swimming in the YWCA Pool
- *Transportation to the YWCA Pool for children participating in Swim Team
- Access to the YWCA's 3 acre playground
- Weekly field trips
- Opportunities to participate in enrichment activities
The YWCA After School Program offers a wide range of enrichment activities including:
- Girl Scouts: We have our own on-site Troop that meets twice a month. The troop works on service projects and of course, sells cookies!
- 4-H Club: Known as Pathfinders, this group meets once a month. Children focus on leadership development and community engagement through club meetings and activities.
- Lego Club: Open to any child in our program, the children meet once or twice a month for an hour to assemble Lego creations based on a theme.
- Kids for Peace: A select group of children join this nationally recognized organization whose mission is to cultivate every child's innate ability to foster peace through cross-cultural experience and hands-on arts, service and projects.
- Field Trips: Children participate in off-site activities once a week such as tennis, bowling, roller skating, park visits, historical tours, horseback riding and more!
The children are split into 5 different groups based on their school grade level:
- Kindergarten: Journeyers
- First Grade: Discoverers
- Second Grade: Adventurers
- Third Grade: Explorers
- Fourth Grade: Navigators
- Fifth Grade +: Voyagers
Monthly calendars are provided to parents outlining their child(ren)'s field trip, enrichment activity and swimming schedules based on the age groups listed above.
*Annual YWCA Membership: $25 - $55
Registration Fee: $20 ($10 for each additional child)
Full-time Weekly Rate (4-5 days): $85
Daily Rate (1-3 days): $23 per day
Full Day Vacation/Holidays Weekly Rate (4-5 days): $127
Full Day Vacation/Holidays Daily Rate1-3 days): $30 per day
*Participants must be YWCA members.
New Hanover County DSS Child Care vouchers are accepted.
We offer transportation from the following schools:
- Bradley Creek
- Carolina Beach
- College Park
- College Road Early Childhood Center
- Holly Tree
- Mary C. Williams
- Pine Valley
- Sunset Park
- Winter Park
For more information contact Sarah Flaherty, YWCA Youth Enrichment Director, via email or call 910.799.6820, ext 115.