Since 1985, the New Choices program has supported women in the Cape Fear area who are taking steps toward financial independence & self-sufficiency.
Participants include domestic violence survivors, recently divorced women and mothers, and single parents re-entering the workforce.
New Choices aims to:
- Empower women to make informed financial decisions to create impactful change in their lives, families, and communities
- Build a strong economic base through learned financial fundamentals
- Help aspiring and existing entrepreneurs develop attainable business goals while strengthening long-term and short-term planning skills
New Choices assists eligible participants with the following:
- Tuition-based and textbook assistance for 2-year degree, certification, or professional skills training programs
- Childcare & transportation assistance
- Micro-enterprise assistance
- Financial counseling using the Purple Purse Moving Ahead Through Financial Empowerment curriculum developed by The Allstate Foundation, that teaches participants how to identify financial abuse and how to build fundamental skills they need to become financially self-sufficient
- Career counseling
- Workshops focusing on personal and life skills, financial empowerment, professional development, and business coaching
- Support groups
- Connections to community support agencies for continuation of care
- Access to small business loan capital
The New Choices program has specific qualifications for the program and specific deadlines that must be met. Applications can be submitted Monday-Friday between 8:30 am and 4:00 pm, but appointments are encouraged to begin the process.
- June 1st for Fall Semester open enrollment
- September 1st for Spring Semester open enrollment
This educational resource has been designed to help domestic violence survivors achieve financial independence and rebuild their lives. The curriculum covers a variety of important financial topics including budgeting, managing debt and improving credit and has been proven to help survivors move from short-term safety to long-term security. The curriculum is available online in English and Spanish.