Empowering teen mothers and their children to build a strong & healthy future.
The YWCA Lower Cape Fear’s Early Parenthood Program (EPP) was created in partnership with the NC Department of Health and Human Services and the NC Teen Pregnancy Prevention Initiatives.
The program works with pregnant and parenting teens to provide direct services and one-on-one support. Through home visitations, individualized goal plans, intensive case management services, and group educational sessions, program participants are empowered to build a strong and healthy future for their families.
The Early Parenthood Program of Columbus County aims to empower young parents with the tools needed to stay enrolled in school and graduate, provide access to prenatal and community resources, reduce repeat pregnancies, and develop strong parenting skills to raise healthy and school-ready children.
The Early Parenthood program uses the “Parents As Teachers” Curriculum, designed to promote optimal childhood development, learning and engagement.
- Educational support to allow mothers to complete high school diploma or equivalency
- Healthy parenting skills instruction & coaching
- Monthly one-on-one individual case management
- In-home consultations to establish a nurturing home environment
- Individual goal planning & tracking
- Transportation assistance to health appointments
- Quarterly group education sessions
- Milestone celebrations, fun family excursions, free supplies from the “Baby Closet” and more!
The Early Parenthood Program is for young women, ages twelve to nineteen, that are currently pregnant or have one child.
Eligible mothers must be attending school or enrolled in an equivalent program, and residing in Columbus County. The program is free to qualified participants.
Young women interested in joining the Early Parenthood Program can apply for the program at the Partnership for Children of Columbus County or contact the program coordinator for an application. Applications are taken on a rolling basis, dependent on class size and current participant roster.